1/20/2010

Mixtape: Happy Valentine's Day


A few weeks ago, a reader asked me to make a 'heartbreak mix'. As I told them at the time, I'd actually had one bouncing around in my head for some time, so I soon set out to getting it out on paper. I finished this a couple weeks ago, and I've been dying to post it. I do think that this can be called a heartbreak mix, but it might not be quite what you expect.

I think there's a feeling of disappointment, rather than one of sadness or defeat, running through this. It feels like the loss of naivete. The realization that things don't always work out how you want them to. The acceptance that sometimes, there's just nothing to be done.

Then again, sometimes there is. Sometimes things do work out. Sometimes there's something to be said for naivete.

I'll let you decide.

Title: Happy Valentine's Day
Length: 1:14:46
Download

Side 1: Your Good Friend

1. Alkaline Trio - "Enjoy Your Day"
2. John Mayer - "Kid A"
3. Letting Up Despite Great Faults - "Sun Drips"
4. Beck - "It's All in Your Mind"
5. Architecture in Helsinki - "Untitled"
6. Bad Religion - "Sorrow"
7. Get Set Go - "Ordinary World"
8. Bird by Bird - "Heavy Eyelids (Acoustic Demo)"
9. Nada Surf - "Always Love"
10. Michael Leviton - "Summer's the Worst"
11. The National - "Ashamed of the Story I Told"

Side 2: We're So Young and Insane

1. The Beatles - "I Want to Tell You"
2. Elliott Smith - "Alameda"
3. Metric - "Help, I'm Alive"
4. Bishop Allen - "The News From Your Bed"
5. Radiohead - "True Love Waits"
6. Bad Religion - "Sorrow (Acoustic)"
7. Say Anything - "I Want to Know Your Plans"
8. Vampire Weekend - "I Think Ur a Contra"
9. Coffee & Cigarettes Band - "That's the Way"
10. You, Me, and Everyone We Know - "I Can Get Back Up Now"

No comments: