2/19/2010

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (Car) (1977)

"When illusion spin her net / I'm never where I want to be / and liberty she pirouette / when I think that I am free"

Shortly after leaving Genesis in 1976, Peter Gabriel recorded a string of four self-titled albums between 1977 and 1982, all of which are generally referred to by what image is on each of their respective covers; given the short length of time for that transition to take place, it makes sense that these albums (and this first one in particular) sound strikingly similar to Genesis's work during that period, but there are certainly pronounced differences. With the stigma of being part of a progressive rock band no longer hanging over him, Gabriel was free to make music that, while certainly having some of the trademark bombast of prog, as well as experimentation with electronic music (it was recorded by Robert Fripp, after all) and large orchestration, was remarkably poppy and concise for an artist who not too long before was writing massive rock operas. Depending on how you look at it, Car is either a brilliant example of accessible, digestible, yet still immensely respectable prog rock or a boundary-pushing pop album that still sounds fresh and resilient over 30 years later. Either way, it's not something you should pass up on.



1. Moribund the Burgermeister
2. Solsbury Hill
3. Modern Love
4. Excuse Me
5. Humdrum
6. Slowburn
7. Waiting for the Big One
8. Down the Dolce Vita
9. Here Comes the Flood

Myspace
Try It

2 comments:

vanvic68 said...

One of the first albums I could buy with my own money being a teenager. At that time I was a big fan of Genesis, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and other prog bands like Yes. I was especially keen on Solsbury Hill, Modern Love and Humdrum. Since my old record player has been broken for ages and has nver been replaced, it's a long time since I hadn't listened to any of the songs in the album. It's been a big surprise, thanks.

Twee said...

I like to surprise my readers sometimes :)

Glad you found an old treasured album, that's a cool feeling.